Friday, September 7, 2007

Blog #1

I just finished reading chapter one of my textbook. It has taught me a lot about computers and even how they are used in the classroom. I learned a little about the ARCS Model and how it is applied to learning in the classroom. I didn't know this could help students to be more focused and get better grades because they are retaining information, not just to pass their test. I learned that there are four different categories used to help motivate these students, such as paying attention by using different teaching techniques that are interesting to the students. In this chapter, it shows many different objects that are in fact computers. This chapter also talks about the ISTE which stands for the International Society for Technology in Education. This is a group that supports and helps spread the use of computers in the classroom. This groups intentions are to help teachers and students improve in their knowledge of technology. It is important that schools use computers, because students need to get adjusted to them before they get out into the real world. All faculty and students use computers for different activities in school. Parents can even get online to follow up on their students and how they are doing in their classes. Students may use the computers for broadcasting on their morning school news, or to look up information they need for a project. Computers help the spread of knowledge at a faster pace than other resources.
When I first came to this class, the only thing I knew how to do was sign online to chat with my friends. Now that I have been to two classes, I am still pretty uncomfortable with a lot, but am beginning to experience different items like logging out or saving something to a disc. Hopefully by the end of this semester, I will be able to do a lot more, especially with power point and such.
I am hoping that in the future, I am able to use powerpoint and master it. I want to go to either law school or graduate school and get my masters in psycology. No matter what path I choose to go down, I know I am going to need to know and master different functions of a computer, whether it be in an office typing up presentations, or in a classroom with students.

No comments: